We are celebrating little ones half birthday today. We decided to bake this cake yesterday to celebrate. I also recorded our fun baking session, check it out to see the lil chef in action 🙂 This is my moms recipe which she always makes during the holiday time and everyone enjoys it a lot. It is super moist and healthy for kids. Here is the recipe.
- All purpose flour / wheat flour – 1 cup
- Sugar – 3/4 cup
- Eggs – 2
- Vegetable Oil – 3/4 cup
- Shredded carrot – 1 cup
- Chopped dates – 3/4 – 1 cup
- Nuts (cashews, almonds or walnuts) – 2tbsp
- Baking soda – 3/4 tsp
- Salt – 1 pinch
- Cinnamon powder – 1/4 tsp
- Vanilla essence – 1/2 tsp
- Caramel syrup – 1/4 cup
- Prepare the caramel syrup first, since it needs to be cooled. I used 1/2 cup sugar and 2 tbsp water, melted it until it bubbles and starts to have a golden color. Add 1/3 cup hot water (be very careful here, since it can splash). Keep stirring until it starts to thicken and have a syrup consistency. You can follow the video here on how to make caramel syrup.
- Preheat oven to 350F or 175C
- Mix flour, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl and set aside
- In another bowl, beat eggs and sugar using a whisk.
- Add oil*, vanilla essence and cinnamon powder then mix well
- Add caramel syrup at room temperature
- Add grated carrots and dates.
- Add the flour mixture to the liquid mixture.
- Bake at 350F or 175C for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick in center comes our clean
- Let it cool then serve.
Do give it a try and let me know how you like it.