Every year around Valentines, even long before I ever had a valentine, I made something special around this time. It’s for my mom, whose birthday happen to be around Valentines.
Growing up my memories of all interactions with mom are in the kitchen. She is always in the kitchen making something. She expresses her love through the food she makes.
This treat is for my mom, and all the amazing moms out there who break their back day in and out to serve homemade food filled with love for their loved ones. After all love is homemade <3.
- 2 medium sized apples
- One pastry sheet
- 1-2 tbsp granulated sugar (may add according to sweet preference)
- 1 tbsp cinnamon’
- 1/4 cup apricot preserves (optional)
- 2 tbsp butter melted
- Thaw the pastry sheet for about an hour. Preheat oven to 375F.
- Slide the apples in half, and remove core (do not remove the skin of apples). Slice them as thinly and evenly as you can.
- Wilt apples in a microwave (about 45 seconds) or in an oven, just until they are wilted and pliable and not mushy.
- Prepare the apricot mix by microwaving it for few seconds to make it softer. Then add cinnamon and sugar and mix well. You can also omit the apricot preserve and use just cinnamon and sugar.
- Cut the thawed pastry sheet in 3 pieces horizontally. Then apple the apricot mixture lightly over the pastry sheet.
- Add apple slices to one edge of the pastry horizontally (pic below), overlapping one over the other.
- Fold the pastry sheet in half, over the apple slices and leaving just the tops of apples.
- Add more butter to the folded half of pastry sheet ( I also added apricot preserve to the folded side, but I would not recommend this addition, since there is extra chance of it oozing out when hot.
- Roll the pastry sheet loosely from one end to the other. It need some room to expand during baking
- Place the rolled pastry roses in a buttered muffin tin. May also powder the roses for that extra golden color effect
- Bake for about 40 minutes until golden brown
- Wait for about 10 minutes before demolding. Dust with powdered sugar.
Be sure to try these out and share how you like them ❤